For those of you new to the world of online poker, we’ve compiled a list of steps you need to take before playing at an online poker room. From downloading the right software to seeing your first hand, here is everything you need to get off and playing.
1. After you have decided to set up your computer for online poker, click on the appropriate “Download” icon for the software you require. This icon is usually easily visible on the website of the online poker room you are using.
2. Select “Save this program to disk” and then click “OK.”
3. Choose a location to which you want to save the program, and then click “Save.” It’s most common to save the program to your Desktop. If you don’t save the program to your Desktop, be sure to remember the location you saved it in.
4. The file will start downloading to your Desktop. When the download is complete, click on “Close.”
1. Go to your Desktop and double-click on your newly installed icon. If you experience difficulties finding your icon, you can search for the program using the “Find” option on your computer’s Start menu.
2. Choose the desired location of your online poker room’s program. By clicking on “Next,” you will automatically save the program to the default destination (recommended).
3. Wait until the installation process is complete. When it is finished, you are ready to start playing! Some online poker rooms give first-time players a choice between “Practice Play” (no money involved) and “Money Play” (money involved). Note that for “Practice Plays,” registration is usually not required.
Playing for Fun
1. After you have successfully installed the software you need for online poker, you might be given the chance to get a feel for the poker room by playing for fun before you play for money. Note that while registration is usually not required to play for fun, it does have the advantage that you can be offered technical assistance should you run into any difficulties.
2. By clicking on the appropriate icon to play for fun, you will enter the poker room and be given a choice of practice tables.
Playing for Money
1. If you feel confident enough to play for money after you have installed your online poker room’s software, choose the option to “Play for Money.” Unlike when you’re playing for fun, you’ll have to register to play for money. Enter all required information on the poker room’s registration page and submit your details.
2. After you have registered, you will receive a user name and password from your online poker room. This is your identification while you’re playing online, so be sure not to forget it. Click “OK” when you have received your user name and password.
3. You will be directed to a “Login” screen which will allow you to enter the poker room. Enter your user name and password and click “Login.”
4. Just like when you’re playing for fun, you’ll be directed to the lobby, but now you can choose your game based on limits, number of players, etc. But first you’ll first have to click on “Cashier” to make a deposit to your account.
5. When you have deposited money in your account, you can select a game and start playing—for real this time!
1. If you decide to visit your online poker room again in the future, the process is much simpler. Just double-click on the software you installed on your Desktop (or somewhere else) the first time around.
2. You’ll be taken to the entrance of the poker room. You’ll have the choice to play for fun or to play for money. Click on the selection you want.
3. This time, you’ll go straight to the “Login” screen. Enter your details and get ready to start playing!